Counselling / MindMatters Program
A full-time qualified Psychologist is located at the College's Health Care Centre to offer confidential counselling and support to all students in the College. The College Psychologist works in conjunction with the School Nurses, Heads of School, House Heads, Year Level Co-ordinators, Head of the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre and a wide network of community supports, to ensure that student difficulties are managed effectively. Families are sometimes referred to services outside the School for ongoing support.
MindMatters is a framework that aims to promote mental health, prevent problems and enable early intervention. The program focuses on young people; their health and wellbeing. It helps schools to support young people to achieve their goals, build relationships and cope with challenges.
As a school focused on the wellbeing and emotional resilience of students, Billanook College is a strong supporter of the MindMatters program and framework. Our Senior Aspire Program focuses on practical skills which relate to mental health and wellbeing as well as highlighting the support networks that are available to students.
- Supports schools around Australia to foster the mental health of their students
- Provides training for schools using the framework
- Assists secondary schools and health services to work more closely together
- Encourages secondary schools and families to work more closely together
- Provides useful resources and links (on this website) for young people, families, teachers and schools
For more information about MindMatters, go to: www.mindmatters.edu.au